Rory Cellan-Jones Bubble & Squeak
Right now’s Twitter inspired recipe comes from BBC Tech flabbergast and unsubstantiated statement foghorn Rory ‘put-the-kettle-on’ Jones.
So Pinterest is now valued at $1.5bn - more evidence of a tech bubble? pinterest.com/pin/1940066964…— Rory Cellan-Jones (@ruskin147) May 17, 2012
Yes folks it’s Rory’s Piss Easy Bubble & Squeak.
- 4 tbsp butter
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- Spurious comment about Pinterest’s valuation and a tech bubble
- Leftover mashed potato
- Any leftover vegetables, cabbage, swede, carrots, peas, Brussels Sprouts, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fried bacon pieces (optional)
- In a large frying pan melt the butter, add the chopped onion and fry gently for 3 mins or until soft.
- Turn the heat up slightly and add the mashed potato and vegetables. Fry for 10 mins turning over in the melted butter two or three times ensuring the potato and vegetables are thoroughly reheated plus you are aiming to brown the outside edges but not to burn the bubble and squeak.
- Press the potato mixture on to the base of the pan with a spatula and leave to cook for 1 min. Flip over and repeat.
An alternative is to mix the potato and vegetables and form into small patties then fry as above. Please do not under any circumstances think this is the start of a bubble that needs pricking, it’s not, use your noggin.
Bubble and squeak makes a lovely lunch with a fried egg on top.